Title: The One About Jerky….
Run Time: 24 min 57 secs
Host: Luke Rodgers
Panelists: Oktober, Nabbit and Major Monocle
- There is a discussion about the definition of flesh vs. meat. The answers are actually kind of disturbing. And leads to a mention of Zombie Jerky!
- A lively discussion about the many meats that are made into jerky. Some of them are venison, yak, alligator, salmon, jellyfish, turkey, shark and kangaroo.
- The panel talks about whether or not a Slim Jim is jerky (hint: It Is). There are three kinds… strips (cut whole), ground (shaped into strips) and shredded (Slim Jims).
- Luke talks about the old old days…how the soldiers of Genghis Khan created a tasty meat snack.….not quite jerky, but not to far from it.
- Buffalo Bob’s Exotic Jerky (Luke mistakenly calls it Buffalo Bill’s…which is wrong, wrong, wrong) actually contains a bit more than just game…it’s got 10% beef.
- Alligator is actually classified as a fish according to the USDA. And Nabbit wants you to know that alligators are essentially immortal.
- The panel did a blind taste test of various jerkies(?)…which were wrapped in foil and numbered so they wouldn’t know what it was. The ones they had were: Buffalo Bob’s Alligator (with Beef), Louisville Vegan Jerky (Maple Bacon), Cowboy Angus Strips (Honey Jalapeno) and Boar’s Head Cracked Pepper Mill Turkey Jerky.
Game: Drink It or Sink It Challenge: “The Wasp”
This simple 3 ingredient drink (Vodka, Banana Liqueur, Ginger Ale) received a moderately good response from the panel. Which doesn’t mean that it couldn’t use a little tinkering. Luke suggests spicing it up a bit with Blenheim HOT Ginger Ale (not that he could remember the name at the time). Oktober suggests fresh squeezed orange juice to add a little more complexity to the flavor profile. Nabbit likes the idea of adding some performance to the drink with squeezing the orange in it when served (adding the “venom”). Luke suggest blood orange to make it even more dramatic.