A Quick State of the Podcast Note:
We will be back on June 16th with a new show. We are officially calling it “Season 2.” Plus we will be adding a short midweek segment to help you get over the hump of your work week. Thanks for bearing with us while we get some of this crazy stuff worked out.
Title: Major Monocle Month #2: Media of Your Youth
Run Time: 22 min 28 secs
Host: Luke Rodgers
Panelists: Oktober, Major Monocle
Topic: TV and Movie from your youth that you will sit down and watch again….
- Luke gets things rolling by talking about how Futurama is always in his top 5 most recent things watched on Netflix. Even though he was an adult when he watched it gave him child-like joy.
- Both Major Monocle and Oktober agree that the original Voltron is and was well worth their eyeballs. Despite some quality issues later, it still holds up as iconic. The panel agrees that Netflix wouldn’t have rebooted it if there wasn’t fan demand. Not to mention the toys.
- Luke talks about how he has a soft spot for crime shows (like those currently on Investigation Discovery) and their “Renactments.” Especially those that take place in the 70’s and 80’s.
- Major Monocle grew up with Dragonball Z. Oktober and Luke were in highschool when they were watching 6th generation video copies (with bad subtitles) from Japan. Luke and Oktober take turns being “that guy” and complaining about character portrayal and the “Super Powered Wrestling” aspects of the show. Major Monocle recommends TeamFourStar’s version for a good rendition.
Game: Lexicon Obscuria: Urban Dictionary Edition
Title: Major Monocle Month #1: Youthful Travel
Run Time: 20 min 14 secs
Host: Luke Rodgers
Panelists: Nabbit, Major Monocle
Topic: Vacations you took in your youth…
- Nabbit talks about his families common pilgrimage to Pigeon Forge, TN when he was young. He tells stories of camping (when he would rather have been playing video games) and one particularly vivid memory of a rafting trip gone wrong.
- Major Monocle regales us with stories of one particularly memorable trip to Virginia Beach, VA when he was very young. He was mesmerized by the 5 story vacation home they had rented (although to this day he is still perplexed by the placement of the kitchen on the top floor) and also by the crabbing opportunities in the small estuary nearby. And now, after growing up, he questions the heart shaped bed.
Game: “You Name It!”
Title: Would You Rather…?
Run Time: 16 min 54 secs
Host: Luke Rodgers
Panelists: Nabbit, Oktober
Topic: Majorly Lacking…So Would you Rather…?
- Due to scheduling issues…we are lacking a Major Monocle. This makes it difficult to begin Major Monocle Month, so the panel decides to play a game of “Would You Rather…”
- “Would You Rather…Be Abducted by Aliens or By Clowns?” Nabbit believes that anything with clowns will end badly, but with aliens there’s a chance they’re gonna take you out for a burger and fries. Oktober is supportive of the alien choice.
- “Would You Rather…be forced to sound like Jar Jar Binks or Bobcat Goldthwait for a month?” The panel overwhelming goes with Bobcat Goldthwait and not just because of his appearance in a snickers commercial.
- “Would You Rather…Have your Browser History or your Credit History released to the public?” Nabbit thinks that those two things are linked so if you release one it’s like looking at both. Oktober figures that her browser history is pretty boring so she says that her credit history would be more interesting.
- “Would You Rather…be trapped in a Violent Video Game or a Horror Movie?” Oktober thinks a horror movie would be more fun (unless it’s a zombie movie). Nabbit thinks the weapon selection of video games is better than the ones available in horror movies. His argument is that it would increase his chances of survival.