Title: The 3 Robots
Run Time: 19 min 54 secs
Host: Luke Rodgers
Panelists: Oktober, Nabbit, Major Monocle
Topic: Robots: Present and Future
- We start off by talking about “Worker Robots” (with a quick mention of sex robots, which we’ll get to later). Specifically we use this article about Foxconn’s new 60,000 robots as a jumping off point.
- Oktober puts a couple of road blocks in the way of these working robots…pointing out that robots need to be anchored to get power and that robots who do plumbing are not currently viable.
- After the panel tries to come up with solutions to the problems presented by Oktober she accuses everyone of watching too much Runaway (1984).
- Nabbit talks about his most recent interaction with a robot. At a convenience store one made him a F’real Milk Shake. This starts a conversation about what was considered to be futuristic 30- 40 years ago.
- Food Ordering has gone mechanized in Japan. More along the idea of what a traditional robot looks like as compared to ordering off a screen or tablet. Which brings up other classic movie robots like the robot from Rocky IV and Johnny 5 from Short Circuit.
- How about robots in Sports? The Pittsburgh Steelers use tackling dummies with sensors in it to determine how hard the players are hitting them. Plus they move.
- Bring on the Sex Bots. Nabbit begins his diatribe on the Uncanny Valley and the work that Real Dolls is doing in this area of study <NSFW>
- Oktober brings up the work of Jordan Wolfson. His art installation The Female Figure (2014) is an interesting look at technology and sexuality.
- The panel moves on to the idea of nanobots, especially from a medical perspective. Nabbit is all about the cost, while Major Monocle just wants to have the latest medical technology inside him.
In this game we list three things and try to guess what they have in common.