Title: Remix, Reimagings and Wish Lists
Run Time: 23 min 45 secs
Host: Luke Rodgers
Panelists: Oktober, Major Monocle, Nabbit
Topic: Remixes, Covers and Re-imagining Music….
- The seed of this topic began when they had this version of “Down With The Sickness” during the credits of the remake of “Dawn of The Dead.”
- Oktober throws out this blast from the past (The Moog Cook Book) and suddenly a quick remembrance of MIDI and MOOG happened.
- Oktober talks about Post Modern Jukebox and all their versions of popular songs in totally different styles.
- Oktober also mentions The Lick, which is used in soooooooo many songs. Seriously, thousands of songs.
- Nabbit talks about how Daft Punk would sample single bits of songs, which would then lead other people to sample Daft Punk…leading to a spiraling cyclone of of sampling.
- Oktober and Luke discuss the reason that Fall Out Boy’s “Uma Thurman” rubs them the wrong way.
- Nabbit’s obsession with Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” has lead to some interesting internet rabbit holes. He dug deep and brought out his two favorite versions of it: Yuki Watanabe’s Cover and Smooth Criminal played on a Barrel Organ.
The Game: The Wish List…
This game involved homework for the panel. They put together several products, both real and fake, and everyone tries to decide whether they are talking about an actual product or if they just made it up, but really want it.